There’s a very common sugar substitute used in the human industry which is extremely toxic for dogs: Xylitol. It’s a naturally occurring substance found in berries, mushrooms, oats, lettuce and other fruits and is poisonous to our buds - even small amounts (50mg per pound) of it can cause seizures, liver failure or worse.

Xylitol is manufactured into a white powder that looks and tastes similar to sugar and has been used in pharmaceuticals, oral products and food. Xylitol is as sweet as sugar but contains only about ⅔ of the calories making it very popular in food products. This is one of the reasons why it is SO important to read ingredients on the foods we give our dogs (especially when giving them food that isn’t made specifically for pets).

  1. Peanut butter (Nuts ‘N More, P28, Go Nuts)
  2. Gum, candies & mints (Dentyne, Tic Tac, Orbit, Stride, Mentos, Glee Gum, Airheads)
  3. Pudding and dessert(Jell-o, Barry Farm)
  4. Ketchup (Health Garden, Nature’s Hollow)
  5. Chocolate (Bulletproof, the Raw Chocolate Co)
  6. Honey (Select brands)
  7. Instant coffee (Select brands)

Our buds count on us to be responsible for the ingredients that go into their mouths. Xylitol is one of the ingredients we must watch out for and make sure to avoid.

Helpful Tips

  • Learn what ingredients are toxic to our buds and don’t bring them into your house; if you do keep them stored safely and out of reach from your dogs.
  • Only feed your buds ingredient heavy foods that are from trusted companies that focus on manufacturing high quality pet products.
  • If you suspect your dog has ingested a product containing xylitol, monitor their health closely and contact your vet or a pet poison health line.

Keep In Mind

The list of the popular food products listed above is non-exhaustive; make sure to keep a close eye on the products we feed our dogs at all times.